The name of this village is instantly associated with vineyards and the white wines of Montagny appellation.
In the middle of a natural amphitheatre opening towards the Chalonnaise plain, Montagny-lès-Buxy is surrounded by vines (Chardonnay grape) planted on hillsides facing south-east. If the Montagny wine, one of the first Appellations d'Origine Contrôlée recognized since 1936, is the pride of the village, it is not the only resource of a soil that was formerly exploited for its building stones. "In Montagny, the stone is as good as the wine! ". Near the Voie Verte, crossed by the route des Grands Vins and the GR 76, Montagny-lès-Buxy offers many marked trails. During your walks, admire the
vineyards and their history, in particular the "cadoles" (don't miss the superb "cadole" (stone hut) standing on its own in the middle of the vineyard at the place called Les Coëres, with its restored lava stone roof), the limestone grasslands at Les Chaumes, classified as a Natura 2000 site, the conservation orchard (fruit trees, flowering hedges, insect sanctuary). Finally, don't miss the Montagny wine trail, a 4.5 km discovery trail with 8 information pillars explaining the terroirs and wines of Montagny. Two private chateaux can be discovered in the landscape, le château de la Saule, a remodeled old fortified house, and the château de la Tour Bandin, property of the Valence de Minardière family (a family whose mother, Marie-Angélique, and her two daughters, Marguerite and Antoinette, perished tragically during the famous fire of the Bazar de la Charité in Paris in 1897).