Located on high ground, the small village of Saint-Maurice-des-Champs (Saint-Maurice of the Fields) could have been called Saint-Maurice-des-Bois (Saint-Maurice of the Woods). In fact, it was renamed "Champs des Bois" (Fields of the Woods) by the revolutionaries in 1789.
Two Romanesque churches are particularly noteworthy in this area: the church of Saint-Maurice, which is located in the heart of the village, and another 12th century church, also surrounded by a cemetery, in the hamlet of La Rochette. Opposite this small chapel, the château de la Rochette housed the headquarters of the Saône-et-Loire department of the Francs-Tireurs and Partisans at the end of the Second World War. This 15th and 16th century chateau, remodeled many times, is a private property and cannot be visited. With the Balade Verte called "Autour de Champs des Bois" (Around Fields of the Woods), Saint-Maurice des Champs offers all the charms of the peaceful countryside, made up of woods and meadows.