Between Culles-les-Roches, Chenôves and Saint-Boil, the village of Saules extends its territory beyond the departmental road towards the Voie Verte. Surrounded by vineyards, woods and meadows, Saules occupies the site of an ancient feudal chateau whose lords were allied in the 11th and 12th centuries with the powerful house of Brancion. Saules then became part of the seigneury of La Rochette (on the lands of Saint-Maurice-des-Champs).
Anecdote: In 1623, the daughter (Claude de Rymon) of the lord of La Rochette (Louis de Rymon), married Charles de Chanlecy and they had a daughter (1624 - Anne-Charlotte) who married in her second marriage (1659) the famous musketeer d'Artagnan. She was also a great-niece, through her father, of Pontus de Tyard.
Crossed by the Voie Verte at its feet, and by the GR 7 at its heights, Saules is a village also located on the Route des Grands Vins. The Balade Verte called "Les 4 Clochers" (The 4 Bell Towers) offers the chance to see the circular wash house of the Masson fountain, one of the points of interest of Saules together with the magnificent cadoles in the vineyards and the Saint-Hilaire church.